a long long time ago!

a long long time ago!

Saturday 31 July 2010

My memories of Edith Nicoll


I have vague memories of visiting Granny and Grandad Nicoll with mum when I was very young indeed.I think it was a flat in London but I am not totally sure.
After Robert died (Gran called him Bob)I remember visiting her at another flat. I think near Blackheath. I think she would have lived fairly close to Dot and Dieter at this time. She would visit us at Beech House from time to time and I can remember her falling in the hall there in the 1960's.She didn't hurt herself but she called me "a scallywag" because she tripped on something I had left there!
She was a great smoker and always had what she called "a fag" in her mouth " Where are my fags ?" she would say! In the last years of her life she always walked with a stick in her right hand. When she got very old she moved into a nursing home in Kingsland, Herefordshire where mum and sometimes her grandchildren would visit her.Truth be told, despite mums heroic and frequent visiting, Gran wasn't very happy there, and indeed her mind was not as sharp as it was.
Her presents to me were usually postal orders for seven shillings and sixpence!

Gran died in 1984 and her funeral was at Kingsland Church Herefordshire(picture above) when there was a fairly good turnout at the church, by many of her children and grandchildren ,though the vicar managed to get her name wrong throughout the service!
Gran was then cremated at Hereford
A good woman who had lived a long,sometimes very tough, but also useful life.
I will cover her earlier life in another post

PS Dwee has entered her own memories about things I had completely forgotten Thanks Dwee Here they are below
Granny also went to a nursing home in Hove (Sussex) which belonged to Edwina's boyfriends mother, Mrs Adolphe. Mrs Adolphe was a lovely Irish lady, and prior to working for the local newspaper there, Edwina had run another nursing home for Mrs A. Hence Granny ending up there for a few years. She loved Mrs Adolphe, who would ply her with sherry and encourage her to have her cigs whenever she felt like it. I visited her a lot there, and we would have a laugh and a joke and I would share her ciggies and sherry too. After her fall, she was never quite the same and was then moved to Glendaph nursing home, where Victoria worked briefly. My last memory of Granny ( who was a tremendous character) was her accusing some poor old dear in the next bed of taking her purse. She was then moved to a room on her own and spent the rest of her days there.


I have so many memories of Granny, she was a fierce royalist, and wouldnt have a word said against the Queen. She had very strong opinions about everything under the sun. She was very critical of people sometimes unfairly. I thought she was wonderful. She often told me stories about her youth. She was a nurse and a good one, and probably met Grandad through her nursing, though Im sure Mum would fill you in on that.
I used to visit her in her flat in Blackheath, and it was always a pleasure, she would provide lunch and we would chat for hours on end. I can remember going to the cinema with her after Doctor Zhivago came out, and she was delighted to tell me that I looked just like Julie Christie, !!
can you remember Grandad? I was always a little frightened of him, because he used to tease me, but he always seemed to be laughing and joking

No comments:

Post a Comment