a long long time ago!

a long long time ago!

Tuesday 31 August 2010

Muriel Crosland dad's mum





Muriel was alaways a bit of a mystery to me.
All I knew what that she died while dad was away in Burma. I dont know how.
Her fisrt husband was a Redmayne and was in the army, and he had killed himself.
( mum thinks by jumping out of a window )Muriel then married Percy Crosland.
The only other thing mum knew about her was that she was large and that in an age when few women drove -she drove a sports car!

Dad always gave me the impression he wasn't very close to his mum and dad, but today I saw some letters he had written when he had joined the army .They date from 1940 and 1941.The letters I think are pretty affectionate.
Anyway following Helens death late last year Susan kindly   sent some photos to Ann who passed them onto me and here they are !
She is not that large (at this stage anyway!)
The other picture is the classic one Was it taken on her wedding day.Was the picture of Percy taken the same day?

Thanks to Dwee for adding this
Interesting, I have heard that Dad adored his mother, and was very angry and upset when she died/ (peritonitis on the kitchen table), Grandpa had insisted that they operate on her there, I think probably she wasnt keen to go into hospital either.Did you know also that she married a bigamist,Muriel was also a great animal lover, and a free spirit by all accounts. She was certainly regarded as quite a beauty in her youth.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helens daughter Susan wrote this Iknow nothing or our great grandmother. I know Muriel was married before and I think her name was Redmayne or Redmond. It is probably on something I have packed away. She sang and gave concerts at the Lea. There was a Blackpool connection with the family cousins or such and one called Mimi Bolton who then moved to Chelmsford. She is long since dead but I think her daughter is called Val who is maybe our age and probably some where I might have her address in something packed away.

    ReplyDelete